Sunday, September 9, 2012

Post Isaac

Photo thanks to CNNmoney
Sorry it took so long for a post storm update, it's been a big job getting back to the way things were pre-storm both at home and at school. I was talking to a friend about how whenever people talk about the storm they're always referring to Katrina, but for the last week and for the next several weeks we'll be referring to Isaac, or maybe even having to specify. By November "the storm" will once again refer only to Katrina. So what happened after Isaac? We returned home on Labor day around 12pm. The house had cooled down because I left two window units on and the electricity had returned the night before. This storm brought 80 mph winds that lasted for a straight 30 hours, so the damage all around was more extensive than we had expected. There was little to no flooding in Orleans Parish, some of the more Southern and Eastern parishes were not so lucky. Here's the damage we came home to:

  1. Our bedroom air conditioner was done: spitting water, not cooling, needed to be replaced ASAP
  2. There is a large crack under the window unit that wasn't there before (hopefully a plaster issue and not structural, but we're not sure yet.
  3. The refrigerator was disgusting. I had packed up all the meat and dairy and taken it with us, but I left all the vegetables (I really didn't think we would lose power). There was mold growing inside the refrigerator! Lesson learned: get everything out!
  4. Now we come to the bathroom where the ceiling could be caving in as I type. There is extensive water damage and the sheet rock has started to separate. Unfortunately, many people had their roofs collapse and roofers are prioritizing. Hopefully they'll come soon.
I spent the entire day cleaning like I never have before and convincing Christian not to do anything because of his knee. He's recovering well, stitches were out on Friday. He's still limping a little, but less so than before the surgery. 

Returning to work Tuesday was nerve wracking because I was afraid the kids would be crazy after only 10 days in school before a 10 day break. But they seemed to revel in the structure and getting back to normal and so did I. 


2 comments:

  1. That is so scary! I hope they come to fix your bathroom soon! Once when we lost power for 14 days I left our apt. fridge completely full...it took WEEKS to get the smell out and was the most awful thing in the world to clean! :-/ I am so glad you are both safe and that Christian is recovering well! Have a wonderful September! Can't wait to see you both! Much love~ A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see your $30,000.00 smile.

    ReplyDelete